Anton Fazekas (1878-1966) was a sculptor and metal worker active in San Francisco between 1913 and 1952. His firm American Art Metal Works was located at 13 Grace Street in the South of Market district, where his well-known and patented illuminated address number units were manufactured. His company also produced many lines of other domestic accoutrements in metal, such as mail slots and doorbell surrounds, often in sets with thematically coordinated figuration.
Here are the posts on this site about Anton Fazekas and his work:
- The little sculpture affixed to your house: Anton Fazekas and the making of a midcentury San Francisco sensation (main post)
- Fazekas, Redux (photos and renovations)
- Fazekas Revisited: Renovations and Rare Sightings (more photos)
- A phalanx of Fazekas (more photos of unique sightings)
- Fazekas Calling: Consideration of a Few Doorbell Plates
- NEW! Restoring a Fazekas Address Unit, Step-by-Step
For information on restoring the lighting in a Fazekas unit, visit this page.