Until 1891 the land where Sunnyside would be laid out was used for dairy farming. That year the Sunnyside Land Company was formed, and streets and lots mapped out for the tract, with Behrend Joost as its president. There was no concerted development during those early years. Instead Joost pursued his real money-making project of establishing the first electric streetcar line in San Francisco, which involved building the Sunnyside Powerhouse at the corner of Circular Ave and Sunnyside Avenue (later Monterey Blvd) in 1892.
A few brave families and individual carpenters did build houses in Sunnyside, but most lots were sold to investors looking for profits. Basics like paved streets, sewers, streetlights, gas and water service, and fire protection were lacking for many years.
People lived with wells to provide water with windmills to pump it up, outhouses on the back of their lots, and many kept their own cows and horses. This is part of the reason lots are so deep (100 or 112 feet) to accommodate these necessities.
Right: Typical 30-foot windmill used to pump up water from a well. Note person at bottom for scale. These dotted the areas of the city where wells provided water, like Sunnyside in the early years.
One early resident of Sunnyside was the inventor William Augustus Merralls, who moved to Monterey Blvd in 1897 and built the structure now called the Sunnyside Conservatory a few years later. His second wife was Temperance Laura Merralls, pictured below.
City government changed after the 1906 Quake and Fire, when efforts were made to address the notorious corruption that had plagued it before. The streetcar line was extended down Monterey Boulevard in 1909.
The Sunnyside school had been housed in a cottage but then a proper schoolhouse was built that same year.
House-building and shopping venues picked up in this period but did not really get going until the 1920s. Many of the houses date to this time. Streets were finally paved and sidewalks laid then.
Outlets such as Phelan Avenue (now Frida Kahlo Way) were put in place, and Sunnyside Avenue wasa extended through what had been Sutro’s Forest beyond Ridgewood Ave in 1916 and renamed Monterey Blvd in 1920.
By the mid-1920s Monterey Blvd had dozens of local shops, as well as the numerous small shops on residential corners. In 1926 Saint Finn Barr Catholic Church was built at Hearst and Edna, a center of neighborhood life for much of the twentieth century. The schoolhouse was outdated and unsafe by then, so a new building was completed in 1927, the current school.
After World War Two, the undeveloped blocks above Joost Avenue filled out with new houses. Sunnyside Playground was built in the mid-1960s.
Sunnyside Conservatory remained in private hands until it was made a City Landmark in 1976.
The 1950s-1980s saw many of the steep rocky lots on Monterey Blvd finally built with apartment buildings. Safeway, which had been a mid-sized store on the site of the present Safeway parking lot before, became the current larger store in 1972, which changed the nature of shopping on Monterey Blvd, driving out a number of mom-and-pop groceries and butcher shops.
Historically Sunnyside has had a lower rate of turnover in house ownership than other San Francisco neighborhoods; today there are still residents whose grandparents and great-grandparents originally moved to Sunnyside.
To hear some great stories about Sunnyside in the places where they happened, consider taking one of the several different Sunnyside history walks I offer.
Or explore this website further.
Here are also some links to other places to find historical information about Sunnyside:
San Francisco’s West of Twin Peaks, by Jacqueline Proctor, Arcadia Books, 2006. [Amazon.com link for book]