The lots that made up the Sunnyside Conservatory grounds did not all belong to the Merralls’ until June 1902. Using as reference the lot numbers on 1907 Block Book map in image below, this is the order in which Lizzie A. Merralls acquired the lots that would then have the Conservatory built on them–all sold to Lizzie A. Merralls–starting in 1897 with just the lot with the house on it and the one directly behind it:
- 1897: From C.H. Taylor and wife, lots 20 and 19, SF Chronicle, 5 March 1897, p.14 — the house (258 Monterey Blvd) and the lot directly behind on Joost Ave (red);
- 1900: From Louisa J. and Richard Miller, lot 21, SF Call, 17 August 1900, p.11 (purple);
- 1901: From George W. and Ida Dorsett, lots 28 and 29, SF Call, 20 Nov 1901, p.11 (green). They bought it in 1895;
- 1902: From Eleanora Cavendish, lot 32, SF Chronicle, 2 Feb 1902, p.12 (bright violet);
- 1902: From Henry A. and Frederick G. Renner, lot 24, SF Call, 7 Mar 1902, p.11, and also from Joseph F. Renner, same lot, SF Call, 24 Nov 1903, p.11, perhaps to clear the title (turquoise);
- 1902: From Peter W. Blum, lot 25, SF Call, 30 Jun 1902, p.9 (pink); and
- 1903: From Timothy J. Kenny, lot 18 (Joost Ave), SF Call, 21 Jul 1903, p.15 (orange).
Block 41 Sunnyside was later renumbered SF Block 6770. The lots numbers were also renumbered. Enter “6770/057” on this webpage to see current Conservatory lots: http://propertymap.sfplanning.org/
The exception to the rule that all the property was in Lizzie’s name is lot 19 above, marked on the map as owned by W.A. Merralls. Although she bought it in 1897, clearly by 1907 W.A. Merralls owned it. What happened is a bit of mystery, but went like this:
- In 1901, that lot, minus the twenty feet closest to the Merralls’ house, is sold from C.H.Taylor to Continental Building and Loan Association, by trustee. (SF Call, 26 June 1901, p.11.) This despite the fact that the newspaper states that in 1897, lot 19 was sold to Lizzie. (See first reference on list above). The shortened shape of the lot is not indicated on the map, but shows up on other maps like the 1905 Sanborn.
- A small house had been built on the lot by CH Taylor in 1899 (as shown by water tap records).
- The house and lot are offered for sale in January 1902, $900. (SF Chronicle, 12 Jan 1902, p.18.)
- Then in 1904, Continental Bldg and Loan sells it to W.A. Merralls, via some people named Styles. (SF Chronicle, 16 May 1904, p.12.) If you really want privacy, buy up your neighbors.