Key dates in the life of family of W.A. Merralls. Supplementary information for main article: https://sunnysidehistory.org/2016/06/25/w-a-merralls-inventor-and-entrepreneur-of-sunnyside/.
See this page for all things related to WA Merralls and the Sunnyside Conservatory.
- 1852: William Augustus Merralls born in September, third child of Augustus and Matilda (Stigant) Merralls in Chatham, Kent, England.
- 1869: William Merralls and mother Matilda arrive in New York on ship SS Paraguay.
- 1880: William and Lizzie A. Merralls married; living in Leadville, Colorado by June (census data).
- 1885: The Merralls living in Kansas City MO.
- 1888: William Merralls naturalized, Jackson County MO.
- 1890: The Merralls’ move to Southern California.
- 1893: the Merralls’ move to San Francisco CA.
- 1895: The Merralls Mill Company started in San Francisco.
- 1897: The Merralls’ buy the house at 236 Sunnyside Avenue (now 258 Monterey Blvd). More information on Lizzie’s property purchases here.
- 1899: Sunnyside Hall and Improvement Association incorporated, led by the Merralls, to build new community hall.
- 1902: The Conservatory built on five lots to the east of the house. [Later called the Sunnyside Conservatory.]
- 1908: First wife Lizzie A. Merralls dies in San Francisco.
- 1909: William marries second wife Temperance Laura Neely Clarke in Ontario, Canada; and return to San Francisco.
- 1911: The Merralls’ go on extended trip to the East, including Detroit.
- 1912: Temperance returns to SF; William remains in New York City on business
- 1913: William Merralls returns to San Francisco. Temperance’s son Charles and his wife Eline (nee Tribolet) live with them.
- 1914: William Augustus Merralls dies, hit by Southern Pacific train in Alameda, CA.
- 1915: Temperance Merralls sues Southern Pacific Railway re William’s death.
- Late 1916: Temperance likely moves to Southern California with son Charles Merralls.
- Late 1916: Temperance Laura Merralls loses title to the properties that comprise the house and Conservatory on Sunnyside Ave.
- William Augustus Merralls (1852 England – 1914 Alameda CA)
- Lizzie A. Merralls (1849 Germany – 1908 SF CA)
- Temperance Laura Clarke Neely Merralls (1865 Canada – 1930 LA CA)
- Charles Frederick Neely Merralls (1888 Canada – 1965 LA CA) (son of Temperance Merralls)
- Ethel M Neely (1882 Canada – unknown) (daughter of Temperance Merralls)