Part of a series of articles about Sunnyside School.
Presenting a feature in the San Francisco Examiner in 1899, detailing the state of Sunnyside’s first school, located in a cottage. More about the difficult early years of Sunnyside School here.
The conditions for these children were incredible. The house where the school was located was in poor condition and no bigger than most houses here today. Imagine one full of 117 children!
This house still stands at 143 Flood Ave and was recently sold for just over $1M. (How did the house number change?) Despite what the article states, Sunnyside was then largely Irish and German immigrants and their families.
View this article image larger.
Answers are now posted here.
1. What was the original name of Monterey Boulevard?
2. When did Sunnyside Elementary School get its colorful tile mural?
3. Was Big Joe’s ever owned by a man named Joe?
4. What did the Interstate 280 Freeway replace when it was built in the 1960s?
a. A creek
b. A railroad
c. Several blocks of homes
d. Open space
5. What was the former name of Friends Bar?
a. Cheers Bar
b. Hells Angels Clubhouse
c. Joker Club Tavern
d. Andy’s Place
6. When was the Balboa Reservoir used to store water?