A series of posts about the long and complex history of a reservoir that never held water:
- The History of the Balboa Reservoir: A Timeline : a succinct summary
- Greyhounds, Aeroplanes, and Wheelbarrows: The History of the Balboa Reservoir 1894-1944
- WAVES, West Campus, and Waterless Basins: The History of the Balboa Reservoir 1945-1983
- Ballot Battles and Campus Claims: The History of the Balboa Reservoir 1983-1991
Photographs and short-takes:
- Open space interlude: The History of the Balboa Reservoir
- Comparison view of the Balboa Reservoir, 1973 and Today
- View of Mt Davidson and Balboa Reservoir: 1973 and Today
- A Year on the Balboa Reservoir: Photographs [page 1] [page 2] [page 3] [page 4] [page 5]
- Another Year on the Balboa Reservoir: Photos on the Cusp of History
My sincerest thanks to Harry Bernstein for generously sharing his research on the Balboa Reservoir. Without his diligence at unearthing facts and documents, I could not possibly written these articles.
Many thanks to the others who helped me write this series of articles: Greg Gaar; David Gallagher; Andre Guillory of the Office of the Assessor-Recorder; Ken Hollenbeck; Woody LaBounty; Oanh Mai, CCSF Archivist; Natalie Mattei, Albertsons Companies; Andrew Sherman; Jesse David Wall; and other local residents and neighbors who kindly responded to my queries about their unofficial uses of the reservoir space over the decades.