Transit matters in Sunnyside. One public transit line was the impetus for the founding of the neighborhood, the San Francisco and San Mateo Electric Railway. A Southern Pacific steam train barreled along the edge of the district until the 1940s. In the 1960s the I-280 freeway has forever changed the neighborhood. Here are some posts.
- The Sunnyside Powerhouse and San Francisco’s First Electric Streetcar
- The Sunnyside Crossing: two different tracks crossed, with deadly results
- Bus No.1: Sunnyside to Golden Gate Park, Muni’s first cross-town line
- A Bridge between Neighborhoods: the Santa Rosa Underpass
- The Ballad of Ellen Furey
- Farmland to Freeway: a history of Rock Ranch
Photo courtesy SFMTA sfmta.photoshelter.org